Teaching jobs In Australia: Are you a teacher interested in teaching jobs in Australia? This is the best opportunity for you, as there are various teaching positions you could apply for in Australia. There are also different pathways to achieving your dream of being a teacher.
Teaching is known to be one of the most in-demand jobs in Australia, as the educational sector is known to be in high demand there. In this article, we discuss all you need to know regarding migrating to Australia as a teacher.
There are different high-paying and in-demand professions in Australia, such as IT, nursing, engineering, and many more. For the sake of this article, we will be talking about teaching jobs in Australia.
There are various ways to migrate to Australia as a teacher, one of which is through a migrant skilled worker visa. I’m not sure what kind of visa you must have applied for or are considering applying for, but there are several ways to migrate to Australia.
One can migrate to Australia through the following visas:
- You could go using a student visa.
- Working visa
- Tourist visa
- Working holiday visa
Ways to Apply for Teaching Jobs in Australia
Are you looking for ways to apply for teaching jobs in Australia? You don’t need to look any further because we’ll show you how to apply.
You can apply through ACECOA and AITSL.
These agencies are in the Australian educational sector. ACECOA and AITSL both provide opportunities for both local and internationally qualified teachers to teach in Australia.
The acronym stands for the Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership. To proceed with the application process, you have to visit the website. On the website, you will be granted access to various resources that have to do with teaching.
When you have access to the website,
- Navigate on the migrate to Australia prompt.
- On the drop-down menu you will see, click on the applicant portal.
- It will take you to the page where you must log in, which means you must register.
- Register a username and password afterward; you can go ahead to log in.
- On the dashboard where you will be taken, you can check for important information such as the application date and status.
- Then proceed to click on begin a new application.
Starting the application process
Moving to Australia through this application process involves applying through the website. The process has the following steps:
- Identify occupation
- Enter applicant information
- Enter credential
- Enter English Language Proficiency
- Review your application
Who is eligible to Apply
If your work field is related to the following occupations, you can apply through the AITSL.
- Early childhood (pre-primary school ) teacher
- Special education teachers
- Middle school teacher
- Primary school teacher
- Special needs teacher
- Teacher of the sight-impaired
- Secondary school teacher
- Teacher of the hearing impaired
Applicant Details and Qualifications
Under the applicant information tab, you will be required to supply different information, including
- Your Name
- Date of birth
- name on your passport
- Home address
- Email address
- Your Teacher registration number
- Previous AITSL Assessment number, if applicable
You will as well be required to upload proof of your identity, which could be
- Your passport
- Any other identity documents
- Change of name evidence
- You will be asked to upload your qualifications, work experience, awards, and training documents.
All these documents could be a jpg, jpeg, pdf, or any other file type.
General Requirements Needed
Once you set up an account on the website, you will know what else to upload. The website is user-friendly.
AITSL will ask for the following documents from you:
- Academic prerequisites
- Professional requirements
- Skill review
- Proof of supervision of teaching practice
English Language Proficiency
An essential step in the application process is taking an English language test and scoring appropriately. Having excellent communication skills is necessary to be a successful teacher in Australia.
Only the IELTS English language test is required to apply to be a migrant teacher through AlTSL. Although other English proficiency tests are available, such as the TOELF, Cambridge, or PTE, the AlTSL does not accept them in this situation.
Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority is referred to as ACECQA. The major duty of ACECQA is to see that Australia’s National Quality Framework for child care and education is implemented.
Check out the website’s Migration skills examination as one option. This page is specifically for persons seeking a skilled migration visa to enter Australia. In essence, the migratory abilities Evaluation considers the following:
- Qualifications in early childhood education and care
- Professional experience
- Then, ACECOA will assess how your credentials stack up against the evaluation criteria necessary for the position you’re applying for.
Additionally, ACECQA is the competent authority for the following positions:
- Manager of a daycare center
- an employee in childcare
Who is eligible for the ACECQA Assessment of Migration Skills?
If you satisfy the following criteria, you are eligible for a migration skills assessment, according to the ACECQA website:
- The Department of Home Affairs list of skilled occupations includes your line of work.
- Your profession is pertinent to your education.
- Your line of work is pertinent to your assessment.
Application Procedures for the ACECQA Assessment
The actions you must take to apply for an assessment are listed below:
- Go over the application guidelines for skills assessments. There are two versions of this available on the ACECQA website, one for the child care center manager occupation and the other for the child care worker occupation.
- Prepare the necessary paperwork.
- Submit the online form and pay the fees.
If you would be able to meet the standards and you are ready to proceed to the next step, you need to prepare these documents:
- The identity page of a current passport; verification of a name change
- A legal document attesting to your qualification(s)
- Academic transcripts for your credentials • References from employers
- employment history
- Forms for declaration and consent are available for applicants and authorized representatives.
- Form of declaration and approval for a migration agent
- Proof of your English language ability
You must apply for a migration skills assessment, which costs 1,100 AUD and takes about 40 minutes.
What Are the Results of the ACECQA Assessment?
After ten working days have passed since you submitted your application, ACECQA will email you. If you meet all the conditions, the agency will provide you with your assessment results within 60 days. Your message will contain a certification. Whether or not your assessment of your skills was successful. Then, you’ll use this data as a prerequisite for your visa application.
Why There Are High English Requirements
As previously noted, very good IELTS scores are needed to become a teacher. They make more than many other occupations do. Wondering why it is like that?
The Australian government says a teacher must speak English well to communicate the message. The Australian government says a teacher must speak English well to communicate the message.
After all, a teacher speaks and communicates much, which cannot be disputed. You are interacting with students, but you are also communicating with
- Fellow teachers
- Other Stakeholders
For instructors, effective communication is unquestionably a must-have talent. There is an inability to use an interpreter while teaching. Because of this, a strong IELTS score is necessary.
Steps in Applying at AITSL
The actions you must take while applying through AITSL are listed below:
- Choose a profession: There are a variety of teachers in Australia, as already mentioned. You will be asked to respond to a series of questions during the application process that will allow the organizing organizations to identify the type of teacher you are.
- Review the instructions: Similar to ACECQA. You will be expected to study the most recent application guide to ensure that you have all the supporting documentation for your application.
- Applying via a representative: Complete the agent authorization form if an agent applies on your behalf.
- Prepare the essential requirements: some of which include a certified transcript and a diploma. They will typically demand that educational background-related records be sealed at the school. They will also verify the institution’s legitimacy and whether you received a diploma.
- Consult the applicant portal user guide for instructions on how to use the portal to submit your application.
Online registration takes place on the application portal. The information will be added to their database, making it easy for them to check the forms you need to fill out and all the other paperwork you need to send.
There are times when they will additionally demand an original copy. You will also receive a list of the papers you have or haven’t submitted during the application process.
Teaching jobs In Australia: Job sites
Teaching jobs In Australia: Salary
Australia’s national average teacher wage is $44.52 per hour or $86,815 per year. Most experienced workers earn up to $148,065 annually, while entry-level occupations start at $71,044 annually.
Living in Australia
Australia is a great place to teach English if you want to work abroad in a country where many people speak English, and the people are friendly. Australia is a huge nation with many stunning beaches, unusual animals, and vacation opportunities (both within Australia and in Southeast Asian tourist destinations). Due to its warm and humid climate, people from Western countries frequently visit Australia for extended periods.
Australian housing and living expenses
Australia keeps its quality of life high. But this high standard of living also comes with a hefty price tag. When moving to Australia, educators should expect to pay more for almost everything, including housing and groceries. Rental prices for homes vary, but on average, a one-bedroom apartment in a city center costs about $1300 USD per month, while a one-bedroom apartment outside of a city costs about $930. The cost of homes tends to rise when they have more bedrooms.
Teaching jobs In Australia: FAQs
Are foreigners allowed to teach in Australia?
Sydney, Australia, gives foreign teachers a lot of chances to join their community of teachers. This means that kids in New South Wales can learn from a wide range of people during their elementary and secondary school years.
Can a teacher immigrate to Australia?
The Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL) requires teachers who want to teach in Australia to pass a test of their skills. Before you can apply for a skilled visa, the AITSL has to make sure that your qualifications meet Australian standards.
Which Australian state needs teachers?
Victoria, the part of Australia that is growing the fastest, says that it will need an extra 1300 teachers each year to teach the 90,000 students who are expected to move there over the next four years.
How many hours a day do Australian teachers work?
The amount of work each instructor has to do shouldn’t be too much or wrong and should be spread out as fairly as possible. The Victorian Government Schools Agreement 2022 outlines the following duties for teachers working a 38-hour workweek.
Are teachers in demand in Australia?
There is an “unprecedented” teacher shortage in Australia. By 2025, the federal government estimates there will be a shortage of more than 4,000 high school teachers. However, existing shortages exist, particularly in rural and remote schools and math and science.
In Australia, how long does it take to become a teacher?
If you earn both a bachelor’s and master’s degree, becoming a teacher in Australia might take six years. You might also need one or two years of teaching experience.
In Australia, the minimum requirement to become a teacher is to get a bachelor’s degree, which could take up to four years to finish. This is true whether you want to teach kindergarten, primary, or secondary school.
After getting your teaching degree, you must apply for and keep your certification or registration as a teacher. The relevant state or territorial authority is responsible for this.