Looking for US farm working jobs with H-2A visa sponsorship in 2023 where you may work in agriculture and obtain useful experience in the US? You might find what you’re seeking in 2023 if there are US farm working jobs available that sponsor H-2A visas.
These positions offer temporary employment to foreign employees in seasonal agricultural jobs like planting fields or harvesting crops. The H-2A program provides a special chance to work and study in a vibrant and satisfying business with fair compensation, housing, transportation, and health and safety provisions. Continue reading to learn more about US farm jobs in 2023 that sponsor H-2A visas and how they can assist you in achieving your professional objectives.
US Farm Working Jobs With H-2A Visa Sponsorship
Farm working jobs in the US are typically seasonal and involve various tasks related to agricultural production. These jobs may include planting, harvesting, and packing crops, caring for livestock, operating machinery, and maintaining farm equipment and buildings.
Some common farm working jobs in the US include:
1. Farm Laborer:
These workers typically perform manual labor tasks such as planting, weeding, harvesting, and packing crops. They may also operate farm machinery such as tractors and harvesters.
2. Livestock Handler:
These workers care for and maintain livestock such as cattle, pigs, and poultry. Tasks may include feeding, watering, cleaning, and monitoring the health of the animals.
3. Farm Equipment Operator:
These workers operate and maintain farm equipment such as tractors, combines, and irrigation systems. They may also perform basic repairs on equipment and ensure it is properly maintained.
4. Farm Manager:
These workers oversee the day-to-day operations of a farm, including managing workers, coordinating planting and harvesting schedules, and ensuring that crops and livestock are healthy and well-maintained.
5. Agricultural Engineer:
These workers design and develop machinery, equipment, and structures to improve farming efficiency and sustainability.
These workers study plant genetics, soil science, and crop management to develop new farming techniques and improve crop yields.
What is the H-2A Visa Sponsorship?
The H-2A visa program is a temporary work visa program that allows US employers to hire foreign nationals to perform temporary or seasonal agricultural work. To participate in the program, employers must apply to the US Department of Labor (DOL) to certify their job opportunities. They must also obtain approval from US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for each H-2A worker they plan to hire.
Employers participating in the H-2A program must provide certain benefits to their H-2A workers, including transportation to and from the US, housing (or a housing allowance), and workers’ compensation insurance. The H-2A program is also subject to certain wage requirements, which vary by state and are designed to ensure that H-2A workers are paid at least the same rate as US workers performing similar work.
Employers who wish to participate in the H-2A program must meet certain eligibility requirements, including demonstrating that they have a legitimate need for the workers, that the employment is temporary or seasonal, and that they have made a good-faith effort to recruit US workers for the job. Employers must also comply with various other program requirements, including recordkeeping and reporting requirements.
For foreign nationals to obtain an H-2A visa, they must be sponsored by an employer who has been certified by the DOL to participate in the program. The employer must submit a petition to USCIS on the worker’s behalf and demonstrate that the worker meets the program’s eligibility requirements. If the petition is approved, the worker may then apply for an H-2A visa at a US consulate in their home country.
How to find US Farm Working Jobs In 2023
There are a variety of resources you can use to find US farm working jobs, including:
- Job search websites: Websites such as Indeed, Monster, and Glassdoor often have listings for farm working jobs. You can search by keyword and location to find opportunities in your area.
- State and local job boards: Many states and localities have job boards that list openings for farm working jobs. Check with your state’s labor department or visit their website to see if they have a job board.
- Staffing agencies: Some staffing agencies specialize in placing workers in agricultural jobs—contact staffing agencies in your area to see if they have any openings.
- Farm websites: Many farms have their websites and may list job opportunities on their site. Search for farms in your area and visit their websites to see if they have any job openings.
- Agricultural job fairs: Some areas may hold job fairs for agricultural jobs. Check with your local government or agricultural organizations to see if any job fairs are coming.
- Personal networking: You can also ask in your personal and professional networks to see if anyone knows of any farm working job opportunities.
How to find US Farm Working Jobs With H-2A Visa Sponsorship
If you are interested in finding US farm working jobs that offer H-2A visa sponsorship, you can follow these steps:
- Check the H-2A job registry: The US Department of Labor maintains a job registry of H-2A job opportunities certified by the DOL. You can search the job registry by state, crop, and other criteria to find job opportunities in your area.
- Contact agricultural employers directly: Some employers may not advertise H-2A job opportunities on job boards or other websites. You can contact agricultural employers directly to inquire about job opportunities and ask if they sponsor H-2A visas.
- Work with a staffing agency: Some staffing agencies specialize in placing workers in H-2A farm jobs—contact staffing agencies in your area to see if they have any opportunities available.
- Contact an immigration attorney: If you are a foreign national seeking H-2A visa sponsorship, it may be helpful to consult with an immigration attorney who can provide guidance on the visa application process and help you find H-2A job opportunities.
- Attend H-2A job fairs: Some areas may hold job fairs for H-2A job opportunities. Check with your local government or agricultural organizations to see if any job fairs are coming.
It’s important to note that H-2A visa sponsorship is not available for all farm working jobs, and employers who participate in the program must follow some specific requirements and regulations. Additionally, there may be certain qualifications and certifications required for H-2A jobs. Be sure to research the specific requirements and qualifications for the job you are interested in before applying.
Eligibility criteria for the US Farm Working Jobs with (H-2A Visa Sponsorship
You must meet certain criteria to be eligible for US farm working jobs that offer H-2A visa sponsorship. These criteria include:
- Being a foreign national from a country that has an agreement with the United States to participate in the H-2A program.
- Meeting the qualifications and requirements for the specific job you are applying for, including any experience, training, or certifications required.
- Being able to pass a background check and health screening.
- Having a valid passport and other required documents for travel and employment in the United States.
- Demonstrating that you have a temporary need for employment in the United States and a residence in your home country that you do not intend to abandon.
- Agree to comply with the terms and conditions of the H-2A visa program, including working only for the employer who sponsors your visa and returning to your home country at the end of your authorized stay.
The requirements for US farm working jobs offering H-2A visa sponsorship vary depending on the job and employer. However, some common requirements may include:
- Age: You must be 18 to participate in the H-2A program.
- Education: There are generally no education requirements for H-2A farm working jobs, but some jobs may require specific skills or training.
- Experience: Some H-2A jobs may require previous experience in agriculture or a related field.
- Physical fitness: H-2A farm working jobs often require physical labor, so you must be able to perform the job duties required.
- English language proficiency: While not always required, some H-2A jobs may require a certain English proficiency level.
- Health screening: Before being approved for an H-2A visa, you must undergo a health screening to ensure that you are free of communicable diseases and other health conditions that could pose a risk to public health.
- Background check: You must pass a background check to ensure that you have not committed any crimes or engaged in activities that would make you ineligible for a visa.
- Valid passport: You must have a valid passport and any other required travel documents to enter the United States.
- Compliance with visa regulations: Once in the United States, you must comply with the terms and conditions of the H-2A visa program, including working only for the employer who sponsors your visa and returning to your home country at the end your authorized stay.
Job Sites to Find US Farm Working Jobs 2023
Here are some job sites where you can find US farm working jobs in 2023 that offer H-2A visa sponsorship:
- H-2A Job Registry –
The US Department of Labor maintains this job registry and lists H-2A job opportunities certified by the DOL.
- AgHires –
AgHires is a job board that connects job seekers with agricultural employers across the United States.
- Indeed –
Indeed is a popular job board listing job opportunities across various industries, including H-2A farm working jobs.
SimplyHired is another job board that lists H-2A farm working jobs and other industries.
Farmworker Justice is an advocacy organization that provides information and resources for farm workers, including job listings for H-2A farm working jobs.
It’s important to note that not all farm working jobs that offer H-2A visa sponsorship may be listed on these job sites, and some employers may prefer to hire workers through other means. Contact agricultural employers directly, work with a staffing agency, or attend H-2A job fairs to find job opportunities.
Companies that Offer US Farm Working Jobs In 2023
Many companies and organizations offer US farm working jobs in 2023 that provide H-2A visa sponsorship. Here are some examples of such companies:
1. Crop Production Services:
Crop Production Services is a leading agricultural retailer in the United States that offers H-2A farm working jobs nationwide.
2. Dole Food Company:
Dole is a multinational producer and marketer of fresh fruits and vegetables and offers H-2A farm working jobs in various locations throughout the United States.
3. Del Monte Fresh Produce:
Del Monte is a global producer and distributor of fresh fruits and vegetables and offers H-2A farm working jobs in California, Florida, and other states.
Driscoll’s is a leading berry company that produces and markets strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries and offers H-2A farm working jobs in California and other states.
5. Giumarra Companies:
Giumarra is a global produce distributor that offers H-2A farm working jobs in California, Arizona, and other states.
6. Ocean Mist Farms:
Ocean Mist Farms is a leading grower and marketer of fresh artichokes and other vegetables and offers H-2A farm working jobs in California.
7. Sun Pacific:
Sun Pacific is a family-owned and operated citrus and tree fruit grower that offers H-2A farm working jobs in California.
8. The Wonderful Company:
The Wonderful Company is a leading producer and marketer of healthy, iconic brands such as Wonderful Pistachios, POM Wonderful, and Fiji Water, and offers H-2A farm working jobs in California.
It’s important to note that this is not an exhaustive list, and many other companies and organizations offer H-2A farm working jobs. You can find more information about H-2A employers by searching online, consulting with an immigration attorney, or contacting the US Department of Labor.
US Farm Working Jobs 2023 – Salary
The salary for US farm working jobs in 2023 that offer H-2A visa sponsorship can vary depending on the crop being grown, the farm’s location, the specific job duties, and the employer. However, the US Department of Labor sets a minimum wage for H-2A workers based on the Adverse Effect Wage Rate (AEWR) for the particular region where the work is being performed. The AEWR is designed to ensure that US workers are not adversely affected by the employment of foreign workers on H-2A visas.
As of January 2023, the AEWR ranges from $13.77 to $15.87 per hour, depending on the state and region. This means that H-2A workers must be paid at least this minimum wage, but some employers may offer higher wages and additional benefits such as housing, transportation, and meals.
It’s important to note that the salary for US farm working jobs in 2023 that offer H-2A visa sponsorship may also be affected by changes in federal and state minimum wage laws, labor market conditions, and other factors. Suppose you are considering an H-2A farm working job. In that case, it’s a good idea to research the specific job opportunity and employer to better understand the salary and other compensation.
What are the job opportunities for US Farm Working Jobs 2023
The job opportunities for US farm working jobs in 2023 that offer H-2A visa sponsorship can vary depending on the specific agricultural sector, the location of the farm, and the season. Some of the most common job opportunities for H-2A workers in the farming industry include:
- Crop planting and harvesting: H-2A workers may be hired to plant, cultivate, and harvest various crops such as fruits, vegetables, and grains.
- Livestock handling: Some H-2A workers may be hired to work with livestock, including feeding, caring for, and managing the animals.
- Poultry processing: H-2A workers may be hired to work in poultry processing plants, performing tasks such as cleaning, packaging, and labeling poultry products.
- Tree planting and maintenance: H-2A workers may be hired to plant and care for trees in tree nurseries or orchards.
- Irrigation and irrigation system maintenance: H-2A workers may be hired to install and maintain irrigation systems in agricultural fields.
- Agricultural equipment operation and maintenance: H-2A workers may be hired to operate and maintain agricultural equipment such as tractors, cultivators, and harvesting machines.
- Pest and disease management: H-2A workers may be hired to help manage pests and diseases in crops by performing tasks such as spraying pesticides and monitoring crop health.
Visa requirements for US farm working jobs in 2023
To be eligible for an H-2A visa to work in US farm jobs in 2023, foreign workers must meet certain requirements, including:
- Temporary or seasonal agricultural work: The H-2A visa is designed for foreign workers in the United States to perform temporary or seasonal agricultural work. The work must be for a US employer approved by the Department of Labor to participate in the H-2A program.
- Job offer from an approved US employer: To apply for an H-2A visa, foreign workers must have a job offer from an approved US employer. The employer must provide certain details about the job, including the duration of the work, the wages, and the location of the work site.
- Ability to perform the job: H-2A workers must have the skills and experience necessary to perform the job duties required by the employer. Employers may require certain certifications or licenses, depending on the job.
- Admissibility to the US: H-2A workers must meet the general requirements for admission to the United States, including passing a background check and not having any criminal convictions or immigration violations.
- Non-immigrant intent: H-2A workers must demonstrate that they reside in their home country and intend to return to their home country when their work is complete. They must also show that they have ties to their home country, such as family, property, or a job, that would compel them to return.
- Health and insurance requirements: H-2A workers must pass a medical exam and demonstrate health insurance coverage in the United States.
Housing and transportation for US farm working jobs
Employers participating in the H-2A program must provide housing and transportation for their H-2A workers. The housing and transportation must meet certain requirements established by the US Department of Labor to ensure that the workers live and work in safe and healthy conditions.
– The employer must provide free housing that meets the applicable federal, state, and local housing and occupancy codes.
– The US Department of Labor or another appropriate agency must inspect and approve the housing.
– The employer must provide each worker with a bed, clean linens, and other basic furnishings.
– The housing must have adequate heating, cooling, and ventilation systems.
– The housing must have adequate bathroom and kitchen facilities.
– The employer must provide free transportation between the workers’ housing and the work site.
– The transportation must be provided in vehicles that meet applicable safety standards and are driven by licensed drivers.
– The employer must ensure that the workers are transported safely and promptly.
It’s important for H-2A workers to be aware of their housing and transportation rights and to report any issues or concerns to their employer or the appropriate government agency. The US Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division enforces the H-2A housing and transportation requirements. Workers can file a complaint with this agency if they believe their employer is not meeting these requirements.
Health and Safety
Health and safety are important considerations for all workers, including those in the US farm working jobs that offer H-2A visa sponsorship. The US Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has established regulations and guidelines to protect agricultural workers from workplace hazards.
Employers who participate in the H-2A program are required to comply with all OSHA regulations and guidelines, including those related to:
- Pesticide safety: Agricultural workers are exposed to pesticides regularly, which can have harmful health effects. Employers must provide workers with pesticide safety training and ensure they have access to appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) when handling or applying pesticides.
- Heat stress: Farm work can be physically demanding and is often performed in hot and humid conditions. Employers must provide workers with access to shade and water to prevent heat-related illnesses and must implement a heat illness prevention program when the temperature exceeds certain thresholds.
- Equipment safety: Farm work often involves heavy machinery and equipment, which can be dangerous if not used properly. Employers must train workers on equipment safety and ensure that all machinery and equipment are properly maintained.
- Ergonomics: Farm work can be physically demanding and can lead to musculoskeletal injuries. Employers must provide workers with ergonomics training and ensure they have access to appropriate equipment and tools to prevent injuries.
- Sanitation: Agricultural workers must have access to clean and safe restroom facilities and hand-washing stations.
H-2A workers who believe that their employer is not complying with OSHA regulations or guidelines can file a complaint with OSHA. Additionally, H-2A workers are protected under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act), which prohibits employers from retaliating against workers who raise health and safety concerns.
Legal rights for US farm working jobs in 2023 that offer H-2A visa sponsorship
H-2A workers in the US farm jobs have legal rights protected by federal and state laws. Here are some of the key legal rights that H-2A workers have:
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) protections: H-2A workers are covered by the FLSA, which establishes minimum wage and overtime requirements. Employers must pay H-2A workers at least the minimum wage and provide overtime pay for hours worked over 40 in a workweek.
- Non-discrimination: H-2A workers are protected from discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, or age under federal and state laws.
- Right to organize: H-2A workers can join a labor union or engage in other concerted activities for their mutual aid or protection, protected by the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA).
- H-2A program requirements: Employers who participate in the H-2A program must comply with all program requirements, including providing free housing and transportation, paying the required wage rate, and providing workers with employment contracts that meet certain standards.
- Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) protections: H-2A workers are entitled to a safe and healthy work environment and are protected from retaliation if they raise health and safety concerns.
- Access to legal remedies: H-2A workers who believe their legal rights have been violated have the right to file a complaint with the appropriate government agency, such as the US Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division, OSHA, or the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). H-2A workers also have the right to pursue legal action in court.
It’s important for H-2A workers to be aware of their legal rights and to report any violations to the appropriate government agency or seek legal advice if needed.
Faqs on US farm working jobs in 2023 that offer H-2A visa sponsorship
Here are some frequently asked questions about US farm working jobs in 2023 that offer H-2A visa sponsorship:
What is the H-2A program?
The H-2A program is a temporary agricultural worker program that allows US employers to bring foreign workers to the US to fill seasonal agricultural jobs. Employers must demonstrate that there need to be more US workers who are able, willing, qualified, and available to perform the work and that hiring foreign workers will not adversely affect the wages and working conditions of similarly employed US workers.
What types of jobs are available under the H-2A program?
The H-2A program is limited to seasonal or temporary agricultural jobs, such as planting, cultivating, harvesting, and packing crops and other related tasks, such as pruning and irrigation.
What are the requirements to qualify for the H-2A program?
To qualify for the H-2A program, employers must demonstrate that they have a temporary or seasonal need for agricultural labor and that there need to be more US workers who are able, willing, qualified, and available to perform the work. Employers must also provide free housing and transportation to workers, pay the required wage rate, and comply with other program requirements.
What is the pay rate for H-2A workers?
H-2A workers must be paid at least the applicable Adverse Effect Wage Rate (AEWR) for the area of intended employment. The AEWR is based on the average wage rate for similarly employed workers in the area and is established annually by the US Department of Labor.
What are the housing and transportation requirements for H-2A workers?
Employers must provide free housing that meets certain standards, including adequate space, ventilation, and sanitation facilities. Employers must also provide free transportation to and from the work site and reimburse workers for transportation from their home country to the US.
What are the health and safety requirements for H-2A workers?
Employers must provide H-2A workers with a safe and healthy work environment, including providing personal protective equipment (PPE) where necessary. Employers must also comply with all applicable federal and state health and safety regulations and train workers on health and safety hazards.
Can H-2A workers bring their families with them?
H-2A workers may not bring their families to the US under the H-2A program. However, some employers may offer to provide housing for workers’ families in their home country, or workers may be able to visit their families during their time off.
Conclusion on US farm working jobs in 2023 that offer H-2A visa sponsorship
US farm working jobs in 2023 that offer H-2A visa sponsorship can provide opportunities for foreign workers to work temporarily in the US in seasonal agricultural jobs. These jobs typically involve planting, cultivating, harvesting, and packing crops and may require workers to live on or near the worksite.
To qualify for the H-2A program, employers must demonstrate a need for agricultural labor and meet wages, housing, transportation, health and safety requirements. Foreign workers participating in the H-2A program can earn a fair wage and gain valuable work experience while helping US agricultural employers meet their seasonal labor needs.